Saturday, October 26, 2013

Vols, trains, et automobiles

The past two weeks have flown by. With my birthday celebrations, Abby's death, increase in rigor of school, and me leaving for Ireland to see Vicky, I have barely even noticed that it's been two weeks! 

For my birthday, I spent the evening watching my little girl. We made cupcakes, and her parents bought me a "warm scarf" for my birthday! Now I have no excuse to be cold according to them.
My mom also sent me beautiful flowers which I received on the day of my birthday, and my best Brazilian friend bought me a book called "La Formule de Dieu."
I could not have been more blessed to spend my birthday with people I have grown to love over the past two months. We had a celebratory birthday cake and brigadeiro for both Bia and I this week. Priscila and Henrique made the special birthday food, and we invited Marcelo, Wendell, Rafael and José Lucas along to celebrate with us. 

We also attended La Nuit Blanche which took place throughout all of Amiens. It was extremely cold, so it was a bit hard for me to enjoy myself. The entire thing was a bit art exhibit (all kinds of arts) that were displayed all over Amiens in different buildings and areas. The most memorable parts - the floating light balloons, the electronic concert (it was warm inside), and the music cones. The music cones were these huge cones that were blown up and had lights shining inside of them. If you approached each one of them, they had their own genre of music playing inside! I don't know why it fascinated me so much, but they were just really interesting. I don't have pictures of that at the moment, but I will upload them in my next post.

Abby also passed away this week. She got into the trash a couple weeks ago and feel very sick. She ended up having kidney failure last week and we put her down on Saturday so that she could go peacefully.  It's hard to be away from home and think that I've spent a birthday outside of the States, and now when I get back home, Abby won't be there to greet me. That's the hardest part about all of this I think. I'm experiencing so much here in France, but at the same time, I'm missing so much at home that I will never get back. I'm just glad it's only for four months! 
I have also taken on the task of partipipating in a "Touch the country you're in" contest. It's a contest for study abroad students at Emory, and if I win, I could get an iPad mini! Of course I'm going to enter! If anyone has ideas about French things I should touch, let me know (i.e. Baguettes, French fries, Eiffel Tower etc). 

And now I'm off to Ireland to visit Vicky :) I've been beyond static to see her, ican hardly contain myself! All my friends know who Vicky is because I talk about her all the time! If I'm not talking about how hungry I am (estou con fome) or...about how hungry I am haha, then I'm talking about Vicky! I'm already here in Ireland, I arrived late last night. Today we are headed to Galway to visit Sarah Goldwasser for today and tomorrow, and then I am going to try to make a trip to Belfast in the middle of the week. But that stuff will be for the next post ;) Bonnes vacances de la Toussaint and have a fantastic week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment